Steps to becoming a commissioned officer in The Salvation Army
What does it take to become a Salvation Army officer?
Below are the typical steps to becoming a commissioned officer.
- Called by God to full-time ministry, specifically officership
- Active soldier in a local corps
- Attend Future Officers Fellowship Retreat
- Recommended by Corps Officer
- Preliminary application endorsed by Divisional and Territorial Candidates Councils
- Online application completed, appraisals and references gathered
- Psychological testing and pre-training “Salvationism 101” initiated
- Reviewed and accepted by Territorial Candidates Council
- Receive the rank of Cadet
- Complete 22 months of officer training
- Graduate officer training with AA degree
- Ordained as a minister of the Gospel and commissioned as an officer
- Bestowed rank of Lieutenant
- Receive first appointment
- Enter active ministry as an officer of The Salvation Army
View the full-sized PDF version here.