The Salvation Army aids Afghan evacuees as part of Operation Allies Welcome
This month, The Salvation Army Southwest Division Emergency Disaster Services (EDS) activated an Incident Management Team (IMT) to provide donations management of nearly 100 tons of items in support of Operation Allies Welcome at Holloman Air Force Base (HAFB) near Alamogordo, New Mexico.
The Department of Defense, through U.S. Northern Command, and in support of the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security, is providing transportation, temporary housing, medical screening, and general support for at least 50,000 Afghan evacuees at secure locations outside Afghanistan.
In this video, Salvation Army Captain Nikki Woollin describes the operations of the Task Force-Holloman donation center.
“There are many people here at Holloman in need whose worlds have been turned upside down and who are now in a foreign country. Our faith-based mission calls us to meet human need in Christ’s name, without discrimination, so doing our part in such a humanitarian effort is in The Salvation Army’s DNA,” said Captain Michael Evans, Incident Commander of The Salvation EDS IMT onsite.
EDS has collaborated with Holloman Spouses Organization and the HAFB Military Joint Task Force on warehousing operations for donations and resources being sourced for distribution to Afghan evacuees arriving to the base. They’re being provided with individual bags consisting of clean clothing, shoes, hygiene items, personal items, etc.
For those wishing to support the effort, monetary contributions will allow The Salvation Army EDS IMT the flexibility to purchase future resources that may be needed for its part in Operation Allies Welcome:
- Visit SalvationArmySouthwest.org
- Mail a check to: The Salvation Army Southwest Division, PO Box 52177, Phoenix, AZ 85072
One hundred percent of your gifts will be used to support The Salvation Army’s role in Operation Allies Welcome.
Cover photo: Volunteers from the Salvation Army and the Red Cross unload shelves in a warehouse at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico, Sept. 4, 2021. The Department of Defense, through U.S. Northern Command, and in support of the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security, is providing transportation, temporary housing, medical screening, and general support for at least 50,000 Afghan evacuees at suitable facilities, in permanent or temporary structures, as quickly as possible. This initiative provides Afghan evacuees essential support at secure locations outside Afghanistan. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Kenneth Boyton)
- See how The Salvation Army fights disaster.
- How do we treat everyone with love and kindness, as if they were our neighbor? Get the Do Good Family Roadmap and take a 4-week journey for families in how to be a good neighbor. Follow the guide to see what the Bible says about the art of neighboring and take tangible steps together on your printable roadmap to be a caring, helpful, welcoming and supportive neighbor right where you are.
- Learn more about the history of The Salvation Army’s Emergency/Disaster Services.