Making it happen with ‘just one’ of something
CREATIVITY IN ACTION
BY ROBERT DOCTER –
She was brainstorming with a far-off look in her eye–eating breakfast in a community diner. Commissioner Linda Bond, who makes things happen, had given an hour on her way to a busy day. I wrote down some of her thoughts.
Just think what we could do if every soldier in the territory found JUST ONE person to introduce to Christ this year – or committed to spending JUST ONE hour a week:
- in helping someone clean house, or
- volunteering at the food bank, or
- visiting someone who is ill, or
- helping with the after school program, or
- getting involved with a prison ministry, or
- mentoring one young person, or
- relating to a home bound senior, or
- providing holistic ministry at the corps social service office, or
- practicing their musical instrument one hour more a week.
Just think what could happen if every soldier:
- tithed one percent more of their annual income, or
- put aside one pocket full of change daily for world service, or
- gave one dollar a week for Sunday School, or
- volunteered to drive people to church one Sunday every month
I wonder, she said, what some of our people could add to the list. I wonder if anyone will begin doing ONE something different this week. I wonder if even ONE corps will introduce the idea.
Then she was off to stir up some action with one more person somewhere else.