The Northwest Division recently celebrated and dedicated a much-needed new dining hall at Camp Gifford. The 10,800 square-foot, two-level dining hall replaced the camp’s original 3,000 square-foot dining facility, which was built prior to 1920.
The new dining hall contains a full-size commercial kitchen and seating for about 200 campers on the main floor. The lower level-daylight basement will house a recreation hall, shower rooms, and staff quarters.
Camp Director Jeff Potts welcomed the Salvationists and friends who attended the dedication, and acknowledged the special assistance of: Cortner Architecture, PBI construction, the Women’s Auxiliary and Golf Committee, under the leadership of Major Jo-Ann Markham, and the Comstock Foundation.
The Comstock Foundation donated $300,000 this past year toward the construction of the dining hall as well as providing a $200,000 campership endowment that will benefit underprivileged children in Spokane County for years to come. Funds generated through the Women’s Auxiliary’s annual Golf Tournament and Auction provided $240,000 towards the project.
Divisional Commander Major Ron Strickland gave the dedicatory address, and Major Ben Markham, Spokane city coordinator, gave the dedicatory prayer.