A network of Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Centers across the U.S. have a common goal: to help people discover and develop their passions in their own neighborhood.
The 26 centers were created thanks in large part to Joan Kroc, wife of McDonald’s founder Ray Kroc, who entrusted The Salvation Army with $1.5 billion to build a space for arts, education and athletics in underserved communities.
The Hawaii Kroc Center, on the island of Oahu, has been offering fun for more than seven years. With some 11,000 members, the center attracts locals with everything from a water park to a dance academy to Kroc Church.
In this episode, Executive Director and Senior Pastor Major Phil Lum says the Hawaii Kroc Center is a one stop shop for the family. A Salvation Army officer for more than 30 years, Lum was appointed to help develop the Kroc Center back in 2006 and he’s steered its growth since.
Show highlights include:
- Phil’s favorite way to stay fit: Practice what you preach.
- Same Salvation Army mission: Preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human needs in his name without discrimination.
- What’s the difference? One-of-a-kind, state-of-the art facility and staff in Hawaii that offers programs that impact and transform people’s lives and the community.
- Kroc Center Hawaii offers RICE (recreation, inspiration, celebration and education).
- Joan Kroc’s legacy: She wanted to give kids an opportunity to find their potential and propel them into a successful life.
- First place is home, second place is work and third place is where you hang out. Why not hang out at the Kroc Center? There’s something for everybody.
- Part of a growing community: West of Oahu; new schools, homes, and other buildings being developed on what was once a sugar cane plantation. Kroc Center’s target audience is young, aspiring families.
- What it takes to be a member: Diverse mixture of people from the community. Sign up, and pay your dues.
- Kroc Center Hawaii not only shows love and appreciation for community members, but local businesses and staff through special events.
- Kroc Church: A place to grow spiritually. Thanks to its 75-foot cross, you can’t miss it!
- Similar words of wisdom from:
- Spider-Man’s Uncle Ben: “With great power comes great responsibility.”
- Jesus: “To whom much is given, much is required.” See Luke 12:48.
- Say a little prayer every day: Lord, help us to be a blessing to others today because we have been so blessed by you.
- Strategy to live by: Keep your priorities straight, and keep God in the center of everything.
Good words from Major Phil Lum in this show:
“We have lots of fun, but it’s a lot of hard work.”
“Education is a big part of what we do here. Someone can come here and learn lots of things about life.”
“When we designed our programs and our facility, we said we want to kind of be the third place for people—first place is home, second place is work, third place is where you would hang out.”
“What kind of place is this? Is this a church, or is this a water park? Many people don’t know that The Salvation Army is a church.”
- The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Community Centers
- Kroc Center Hawaii
- The Salvation Army Kroc Church App
- Global Leadership Summit
- Visit westernusa.salvationarmy.org to join the fight for good in your community.
- What’s your story? Take our free email course to see why your voice matters and how to find your story.
Download this episode wherever you get your podcasts. Connect with Major Phil Lum via Kroc Center Hawaii.