01: What it means to do good with Commissioners Dave and Sharron Hudson
Did you know The Salvation Army is in more than 130 countries around the world?
And in the United States, it’s present in every zip code—working to meet human need.
The brand promise says the organization is Doing the Most Good. And you’ll often hear that The Salvation Army is in a Fight for Good.
So what does that mean?
In this episode, The Salvation Army’s national leaders—Commissioners Dave and Sharron Hudson—join in to share what it is to Do Good.
The Hudsons have dedicated more than 40 years of service to The Salvation Army as ordained ministers. They share what it means to do good, their motivations and lessons learned along the way.
Show highlights include:
- Understanding the structure of The Salvation Army: The national leaders are tasked with issues and priorities of national interest and importance.
- The brand promise, “Doing the Most Good:” It’s not about yourself or doing more good than anybody else.
- Political polarization has created a crying need for good as the country is more divided than ever.
- Misconception/Misperception of mission: The Salvation Army’s mission is to meet human need in his name without discrimination—and to fulfill that mission for everyone.
- If you want to find Jesus, go to the poor, broken-hearted, and marginalized.
- Don’t ask someone how they got in the water, in a bad situation; help them get out.
- Strong women: May we know them, be them and raise them.
- Leadership and Love: It’s all about making an impact and building relationships.
- Live life by having faith, passion and motivation.
- Learn the questions before trying to get the answers right.
- Leadership tip: Surround yourself with people who have more knowledge and work together as a team.
Good words from the Hudsons in this show:
“The brand promise: I didn’t like it. It sounded arrogant. I realized it isn’t a statement about yourself. It isn’t us saying, ‘We do more good than anybody else.’” – Commissioner Dave Hudson
“It’s the brand promise that we will do everything we can to do the most good with the resources we have, with the services we provide.” – Commissioner Dave Hudson
“I have a saying on my desk: ‘Here’s to strong women: may we know them, may we be them, may we raise them.’” – Commissioner Sharron Hudson
“Other people’s opinions matter, but they don’t matter that much compared to what’s right.” – Commissioner Dave Hudson
“Do good by opening your eyes to the world around you…acknowledging somebody, saying a kind word…a smile. I think that’s a starting place.” – Commissioner Dave Hudson
- Visit westernusa.salvationarmy.org to find The Salvation Army nearest you.
- Give to support the fight for good in your community.
- What’s your story? Take our free email course to see why your voice matters and how to find your story.
[button color=”yellow” size=”normal” alignment=”none” rel=”follow” openin=”newwindow” url=”https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-do-gooders-podcast/id1462063355″]SUBSCRIBE AND LEAVE A REVIEW[/button]